Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Band Geek"

So Tag comes home the other day and says he wants to be in "strings" class at school.  Hmmmm.  I didn't really know how to respond to that.  So I told him I'd discuss it with his dad when he got home.  Tommy's reaction?   "?!@#$% no!  He's not going to be a band geek!  He's just trying to get out of class."  Tommy thinks he's so tough.  By the way, Tommy knows this from experience.  He played the French horn.  'Cause that's not gay or anything.  Anyhoo, I tried to talk Tag out of it, giving him every reason in the book to talk him out of it:  he has basketball 3 days a week, I have Keagan in gymnastics, it'll be expensive to rent a cello -- yes, cello.  That's what he wants to play.  I even tried talking him into guitar, but he wasn't having it.  He said EVERYONE in his class is doing it.  I don't know what to do??  I want him to have every opportunity to try things out.  I don't want to hear years from now how I never let him play the cello.  Now, so help me, if that kid doesn't practice, I'm gonna be very very upset.  Plus, I don't know a darn thing about the cello or where to begin to help him practice!  Aaaaargh!

Now, to all those "band geeks" out there, I'll admit, I was, too a "band geek" back in the day.  I played the flute.  Ha! Ha!  Make fun all you want.  I swear, it was cool to be in band!  I went to a very small school, my graduating class was 54.  Let me tell you, there wasn't a whole lot to do in that town besides milking cows and cruising down Main Street.  Well, everyone was in band.  I was even a "letterette" (the E to be exact.)  I was dang good, too! ( I just wanted to wear the short skirt and moccasins.)  I bet I can dig up a picture somewhere.

So with that said, I'm going to just keep my mouth shut and let him do his thing.  

10 comments:

aubri said...

It's cool. We all do things we are embarrassed about. I was in Jazz and I wasn't even good! Craig was in diving, the only reason for that was to wear the sweet speedo and I do have a picture of that.MMMMMMMMM
that gives me a good idaea. Check out my blog soon.:)

The Stones said...

ya, stone totally loved that one aubs... anyway, I too was a flutist. Is that even a word. Oh well! Sorry about the stone... no fun. So, for all the men out there that say it's just like giving birth... how does it compare?

Rod Hinze said...

I remember when Tommy was in the choir in the 8th grade at Poston Junior High. I think Don bribed him with a skateboard or something.

Lucrecia said...

"One time at band camp...." Maybe he crushes on a girl who plays the claironet:)

Holly said...

Ha ha! Leigh, we are in the same boat. At least Jarom will be in class with Tag - playing the viola. Ha ha! It totally makes me laugh just thinking about it. Who knows, maybe they'll both hate it and be strings class dropouts. By the way, Tag played kick-ball with Jarom against the mean boys yesterday and they totally won. I'm glad Jarom has such a great friend like Tag!!!

The Burkinshaws said...

Ryan and I were dying laughing not so much at Tag but at mentally picturing Tommy with a huge french horn. The coolest are in strings me for four solid years, at least he picked the cello and not the violin! Love reading your blogs they are hilarious!

Anonymous said...

I had to play the flute because that's what you played and Mom and Dad already paid for it. I didn't really want to play it but didn't push it. I wanted to play percussion when I went to high school but Mr. Jamero retired and the new guy was a sexist pig so I wasn't allowed. I immediately dropped out along with at least 1/2 of the band. It made him look really bad and he either quit or was fired that year. Maybe Tag'll be the next Yo-Yo Ma...

Angi said...

For me it was the trumpet, 'cause my dad told me that trumpet players were good kissers. It didn't take me long to decide that the best way to become a good kisser was to practice kissing, not the trumpet. Besides, I couldn't get over the retarded tall furry hats.

Noelle said...

Oh, Im so glad that you posted about that. I really needed that laugh the other night on the phone. I can't wait for your upcoming post with your picture included!! Bet you were HOT!
Yours truly,
flute and saxaphone dropout Noelle

Teresa said...

Cello...is way cool. I say let him try {plus learning music helps with math} Sam took up lesson about a year ago- and has loved it.
I don't know a whole lot about them, but I know there are different sizes, there's one that has a really romantic sound to it. Maybe go on line to hear.
...Oh, I had been lurking around your site, and decided to comment today, You are as beautiful as ever and I see that you're keeping it real =}