
When Tag was just about a year old, Tommy and I moved into a new ward. There was a really nice couple that asked us to go out with them one weekend. We went over to their house to pick them up before dinner. They seemed to have it all - the nice house, the fancy cars, their 2 boys were always decked out etc. Both parents worked full-time. Anyhoo, while we were at dinner, the wife asked me what I did for a living. I told her, "I'm just a mom. I stay at home and take care of Tag." She was completely shocked by my answer. She said, "REALLY? That's it? That's what you do? You don't work?" And then said, "So let me get this straight. You just stay at home and play house ALL day?!" I was completely taken aback and needless to say, I couldn't wait for dinner to be over and just get home. I felt so beaten down. After we got home, I told Tommy that maybe I needed to go back to school, or get a job. You know, do something more productive with my life. And faster than I could finish that sentence, he said, "Leigh. You're doing exactly what you've always wanted to do. Being a mother is the most important job." And it's true. The only thing I've ever wanted to be was a mother (ok, that and there was one time when I was about 7 that I wanted to be a school bus driver.)
There is nothing more gratifying than being a mother. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments when I want to list all three children on eBay. But these little boogers really do make me so happy.
So, to the girl in my ward who tried to make me feel like crap all those years ago - Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. It was a great little wake up call. A good reminder that I AM doing what I've always wanted to do. I don't need a fancy job to make me feel fulfilled. And who knew you don't need a college degree to be a chauffeur/chef/maid/teacher/nurse?
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

12 comments:
Well said Leigh- it does my heart good to hear that from such a beautiful young women as you are-
Happy Mothers Day-
ps. you have adorable "little boogers" =)
I have heard comments like that my whole married life. There isn't a better job in the world than that of a mother. I loved this post. Very well said...Happy Mother's Day!
love it. thanks for sharing.
DIDO!!!!!!! I love being home with the rottens!
By the way, craig did the bus driver thing...... he said it's totally overrated.
great post Leigh! It shocks me that someone from church would have such a negative reaction to sahm's. I've never come across that before.
Scott asks me once in a while (jokingly) if I want to switch jobs. My answer is always NO WAY! Motherhood is the best job! Thanks for sharing!
Ahhh I love hearing stories like this too! There are still times that I dream about dressing up and going to some fancy job everyday,but then I stop and think about my little girls and how I wouldn't trade this for the world. I loved your story. My husband and I have had many conversations like you and Tommy about Motherhood! Thanks for sharing and Happy Mothers Day you Hot Mom!
I had a friend at work a couple of years ago (before I had kids) say to me "you better get crackin' on having those kids! Because in your religion once you have kids, you get to quit your job, right?" Every Mo she knew was a stay at home mom! And the bus driver thing is not all its cracked up to be. (Jason drove a school bus for 2 years! Ha ha!)
Amen, sista! I feel like my kiddos are pretty much my whole world--can't imagine doing anything else. You're a great mom! Hope you got your mother's day watch. Love you.
I just read your post. Thank goodness for the women who are willing to sacrifice, and stay home to be a great mom and wife!
I feel so blessed that your mom, and each of you girls have been willing and able to do that. It isn't always easy, but so worth it.
I can't WAIT until that's all I have to do and I have an excuse to not work anymore. But really I think working is a whole lot easier than staying home with kids, so this chick was taking the easy way out!
You do have a job & it's full-time with no pay, no sick leave, long hours & no vaca time. You're a mom & you NEVER stop being one. Buh-leive me, you are "working" & one of the most dedicated "workers" I know! I wish I could stay at home & "play" but I don't think you'd like that much.
I do have to respectfully disagree with anonymous. Working isn't "easier" nor is it "taking the easy way out". It's just different when you are a working mom rather than a stay at home mom. Both are equally taxing & equally rewarding. (I do miss my kiddos when I'm at work though.) I think that the chick in the story was just JEALOUS!!
What a great pic of you with your sweeties. It captures the love! Great story, and reminder to us all to realize how great we have it. Love ya Leigh!
Post a Comment