When Tommy's pop invited us to go to Washington D.C., we jumped all over it. Even though money's a little tight these days, we knew we might not have another opportunity to go again anytime soon. So we got a sitter for the girlies and took Tag with us. We stayed in the 3,000 square foot pimp daddy Presidential suite in Wardman Park. Now, I have to say, I kept hearing about this "Mall" up by the Capital. I'm thinking, 'wowzers, can't wait to spend Tommy's moolah there. Let me just say, that term is incredibly misleading to a girl. Anyhoo, turns out it's not really a {shopping} mall after all. It's the long grassy area between the Capital and the Lincoln Memorial. Bummer.
We went to the Holocaust Museum (unbelievable), the Capital, The Treasury, The Natural History Museum, The Air and Space Museum, The National Gallery and saw the Pompeii exhibit. Tommy was shocked that I had no idea what that was all about. I told him I was just a desperate housewife. Not all of us common folk are not quite as lucky to have actually GONE to Pompeii as a child like him. We visited the Washington Monument and went to the Lincoln Memorial. The President's helicopter flew over us. We visited the Smithsonian Zoo, went inside the West Wing of the White House and even ate at the Old Ebbitt Grill. Apparently it was a favorite of Teddy Roosevelt.
There were even a few things that reminded us of home. Every time we walked over a sewer, Tommy said, "Smells like a trailer park." When we were at the zoo and went to the cat section, Tommy said, "Yep. Smells like a trailer park."
Note to self: Never EVER under any circumstances wear brand new shoes (doesn't matter how cute they are) when you know darn well you're going to be walking a bazillion miles. I think I had 3 band-aids on each foot. Oh, the price we women pay to look cute.
The Natural History Museum
While on a tour at the Capital, we got a special little treat. Yes folks, that "Mr. Benjamin Button" himself. Brad Pitt was on his way to meet with Nancy Pelosi. It really doesn't get much better than that. Tommy couldn't understand what all the big fuss was about him. I said, "Hun, he is the equivalent to Angelina Jolie walking right past you." I have never seen so many little "Monica Lewinsky" interns line up to catch a glimpse of him.
So we decided to walk to the White House and as we were heading toward the crosswalk, seriously, out of nowhere, all these policemen came and closed all the streets around us. It was a little crazy. They were yelling at everyone to "STAY ON THE SIDEWALK!" Hands on guns and all.
**Now, just as a side note, when we first arrived, our driver told us that we just might see the President's motorcade at some point in our trip. He said the only way we would be able to tell it was the President, was if there is an ambulance following his limo.**
So, with that being said, sure enough, here comes the motorcade barreling down the street, and what do you know? Mr. Obama himself passed right by us. You could see him clear as day in his limo. He even waved to us. I have to admit it was pretty neat to see the President, I was waving like a crazed little school girl, even though the thought of him as our new President makes me cringe. Apparently he was on his way to Parent-Teacher conference.
*The President's limo was the one behind the cop.
The Washington Monument
I kind of liked this picture of the two of us, minus my double-chin.
Inside the White House gates. Tommy's dad had a meeting in the West Wing, so we were able to go in with him. Ivanka Trump was waiting outside the gate to get in as well. I said 'hello to her and, like an idiot, got all nervous and called her Ivanna (her mother's name). She was just as hot in person. I was coveting her shoes.
The National Treasury. I could sure put all this to very good use right about now. Just think of all the shoes I could buy.
Our last stop, the National Zoo.

13 comments:
Whoa, that's quite a trip! How cool for Tag. I can't believe how many places you were able to visit. Definately not a new-shoe experience. Oh, and you don't have a double chin you ding-dong!
Well that looks so fun! While I have been to Pompeii, I haven't been to DC, so I guess that makes us even???
Hey I may need another perm. Bunco player, would you be interested? LMK.
Your mall comment cracked me up- :}
Looked like a great trip.
What an awesome trip! And how fun is it that Tag got to go with you!
what a great trip! How special for Tag to get to experience it all with you. And you look fabulous as ever - love the blue barrette!
Love the coat! Only you can wear something white and keep it white. And yes I totally digged your shoes, but for "realz" who wears those walking in DC. You might be a great speler, but your common sense stinks! Cna you smell it? He he he... Hope you're laughing because that's what I was aiming for! Love you!
I don't know who's funnier? One of my favs sister or my BFF Leigh........ I look up to you BOTH. TOO FUNNY!
What an amazing trip! I'm so glad you guys were able to go do that--how cool for Tag! You look gorgeous in that picture! Glad you made it back safely. Love you!
WOW! What a fun trip! I never thought I would want to go to DC, but after reading this post, I really want to check it out! How cool for Taggie, too! I am freaking out about you getting to see Brad Pitt. I would have liked that more than seeing the President, even if I had seem him close enough to goose me. You're living the good life, fo sho!
Have I told you how much I love reading your blog?! Really, I get a cold diet coke sit down and read all about your life! I love it, you crack me up! I love your stories about Tommy and your kids.
Your trip to DC looks like a blast! The shoes were totally worth the blisters...way cute! The picture of you and Tommy is so cute! I need to take you shopping with me so you can teach me how to dress.
Thanks for the last 20 min of laughter...your blog is the best!
Your post brought back so many memories from my student teaching in inner city DC. And I too thought that the mall was a shopping mall and was a little disapointed when I found out otherwise, though The Tyson's Malls there are great. I loved living in Virgina and seeing all of the hot historical spots. There really is so much to take in. I'm glad that you guys had such a good time. Sorry about your blisters. I've had too many experiences similar to yours...the price we pay to look cute from head to toe.
That looks so awesome. That is for sure a trip that I would like to take someday. How lucky that there was a Pompeii exhibit- that's not always there is it? I have been there as well and it is EEERIE! Good thing you looked so hot if you were gonna see Brad...
Sounds like you guys had a killer time!! I would've been right next to you stammering over words and snapping pics w/ all those 'famous' people!! I love that kind of crap.
Post a Comment