Friday, October 10, 2008

And People Ask Why I Don't Like To Dress Up...


Well, here is my #1 all-time reason why I don't like dressing up for Halloween.  I must have been about 5 or 6 here, and money was scarce, so my mom "hand-made" these costumes for us.  Now, my mom can whip just about anything imaginable up, but I swear, something went drastically wrong this particular year!  I think Kim and I were matching aliens or something.  (You can tell by the look on my face, it wasn't exactly what I wanted to be.  I was thinking something more along the lines of Wonder Woman.)

So we get to the school carnival, and 'lo and behold, there's my best friend, Lauren dressed up as Wonder Woman, go figure.  She even had the shiny red boots and lasso AND the gold cuffs to boot!  Man, was I one heckuva pissy little alien!

Now, let me remind everyone that Kim and I were wearing tin foil, and we can all imagine how quickly it tears.  Soooo, needless to say it started falling off, and all we had on underneath was a turleneck and tights and panties.  

I think it was safe to say we didn't win the "Best Costume Award" that year.

8 comments:

Angi said...

I'll bet Tommy would love it if you dressed up in nothing but tin-foil! Maybe you should try it for a private Halloween party. He can call and thank your mom afterward for being a Halloween genius.

Teresa said...

You may not of won the award- but sure have a great story to tell-
Oh, for the memories- how fun :}

Lesley said...

I've been laughing forever about that picture! Once I was a "gypsy" and I just wore all my moms jewelry at once with rings from a mason jar as my earings. Oh and a bandana. I wanted to be a cheerleader. Lame.

Lucrecia said...

I Love it! So one year my mom dressed me as a bunch of grapes. In order to do this she had to pin purple balloons to a purple leotard. As it turns out, it's very hard to pull down this costume to go pee. It's especially hard when one of the balloons is pinned all the way through to your underwear. So yeah, I peed my pants in front of many many people. Definately a traumatic experience:)

Anonymous said...

Your blog makes me laugh out loud! I Love it!! And the pics...priceless!

The Stones said...

Tell your mom to send me the pattern. I think we will opt for no tights or panties though so they can double as streakers. Actually I thought the story was a little endearing. I am sure your mom would have loved to give you the Wonder Women costume too, but she did her best. She sounds like a good mom. I had a few make-shift costumes too.In tough times ya just make do, I can appreciate that.
Stone

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Leigh, what a memory this one is. And I'm so big and pregnant with Andi! Yeah, the tin foil costumes were right up there with sodas and cereal for Christmas. We were really the poor church mice for a few years.
Love you. You'll ALWAYS be my "wonder woman"!
Mom

Summer said...

Classic! I love the old school hand made costume era!