This past weekend, I flew home to California and visited my parents. I don't come home very often, but each time I do, I'm reminded why I loved living in this little town. And boy, do I mean little. Like, as in, my graduating class was 54 students. Gustine is a small but beautiful Portuguese dairy town with tree-lined streets, historic old houses with well-manicured yards. The people are friendly, and life is simple. I miss simple. Well, maybe not totally. I don't think there's an eyelash lady within close proximity, the closest mall is 45 minutes away (no Nordstrom either), and I don't think there's even 1 Sonic in the whole entire state of California. But a visit every now and then? That, I think I can manage.
**I need to thank this lovely lady for taking these pictures below for me. It's no secret how much I suck at taking pictures, I needed a little help in that department.**





It was also a very bittersweet weekend. We got word that our dear friend, Ben had finally been found after having been missing for almost 4 years. It wasn't quite the outcome we were hoping for because he is no longer with us, but finally some closure. And for that, we are very, very grateful.

6 comments:
What a great post! I love the picture of you and your amazing parents. Im home and it always feels good to come back to where you are from and grew up. Small town girls!
What a sigh of relief for Ben's family.
fun! I'll bet it was nice to visit! But there is a Sonic, surprisingly. I was surprised to have one here were we live in CA
ahhh, Gustine. :)
Thanks for sharing the photos -- one of these days when I visit home I need to get out there with my camera. Before it has all changed.
I love the Gustine pics! You guys look great in that picture too. Glad you were there when they found Ben, I bet it helped Mom and Dad. And Shannon, don't worry, Gustine will never change. Well, not much anyway! I love all of the old craftsman bungalows in town. Gustine looks so different to me now when I go home.
How fun to visit! I'm with you on the whole shopping, sonic thing! That's a great picture of Ben, I'm glad there's some closure now, too.
1. There is a sonic in Merced and 2 in Turlock and in Modesto. Sonic was my major craving last pregnancy.
2.The closest Nordstoms is in Pleasanton.
Next time you are home we need to get together
Post a Comment