
I've been a little M.I.A. lately. We got some not-so-good news a week and a half ago. My dad had been quite sick for a while and my mom finally decided to take him to the hospital in Merced. They found a tumor the size of a lemon in his brain. Not good. They then transported him to UC San Francisco because they have a great neurological team. Kim, Andi and I all decided to fly up and see him. It was a great visit (under crummy circumstances) nonetheless. My dad talked a lot about his regret as a father. He regretted working so much. Not playing as much. All the coulda-shoulda-woulda's. I have NO regrets. None.
Now, it wasn't all tears last week. We had some pretty fun laughs, often at Kim's expense. My dad was on some heavy painkillers and we got to see a different side of him. He told me all about castrating horses with a pocket knife and some turpentine. We played the campout game and somehow my dad got out of alphabetical order and when it got to his turn (which was the letter D), he said he was going to take "Wong-Dong Tommy." Not quite the typical answer you'd hear from a Branch President, but it worked. It got a little raucous after that, you can only imagine all the nicknames for one body part, going down the row alphabetically. I thought Kim was going to pass out (she's the more angelic of the 3 sisters).
One of the evenings got a little too quiet for me, so I texted my mom (who was sitting right next to me) that we needed to pull a little prank on Kim. She was busy blog-stalking on the computer, so we sent my dad in to "go #2 in the bathroom" and my mom was going to "tell the nurse something out in the hall" while I was "going to get a phone call and take it out in the hall." You catchin' my drift? So Kim's all alone in the room with my dad, when he calls out for her and says he needs her help. He needs her to help him wipe. AND SHE DID IT! Well, not totally. She said, "Do you mind if I use a little more toilet paper than you normally use?" She really is the golden child, I tell you. She was actually going to wipe his butt! My mom and I were dying laughing out in the hall, when Kim comes out with a wad of toilet paper with a big brown schmear on it (from my leftover Oreo chocolate pudding surprise) and asked us, "Where should I put this?"
Ok, let's get back on track here. I couldn't have asked for a better father. I love his great example. I love the way he loves my mom. The doctors found a melanoma in his left eye, and have been toying with the idea of taking his eye. He said taking his eye is not even an option, because he needs to have both eyes to see my mom. How sweet it that?
I know it will be a very difficult road ahead for our family. I'm so grateful, more than ever for the gift of eternal families and am grateful to a loving Heavenly Father that listens to my prayers. I know he is very mindful of us.
Thank you for all your notes, visits, texts, flowers and phone calls. I love you all.

17 comments:
I am so sorry for what your family is going through right now. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Your dad sounds like such a sweet, fun man who truly adores his family!
Love you too Leigh! I had a lot of fun, even though we were hanging out in a hospital. Thanks for keeping it real while we were there. I got some Starbucks peppermint hot chocolate today at Target and thought of you guys. Miss you!
Your dad looks like a sweet man and I am sorry you and your family are going through this. You are blessed to have each other and to have time to spend with your dad "hanging out" and just talking. So many people don't have that. And I can just imagine the conversations going on in that hospital room. I know your faith will be of great comfort to you and your father. We love you and are praying for your and the family
I felt so bad when I heard the news. I know he's had a lot of health issues over the years, and I'm sorry you guys have to go through this. But, what a blessing that you could all be there together to support each other. Um, ya, the jokes in the hospital . . . . I'm just hoping he had a private room. ;)
You dad is a wonderful, happy, fun-loving man. Praying for all of you!
Leigh...I'm so sorry to hear about your dad! Dave told me that Tommy was holding down the fort while you went to visit your family. I wish there was better news for you on the homefront. It sure makes me appreciate my family more when I hear about things like this. I hope for the best for him and your family.
Ugh! What awful news! I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I wish that there was something magical I could say to make it all better.
At least all of you got to go spend time with him! That's really what's important. Will be praying for you guys!
xoxo
I am so sorry Leigh. And after all those teases about not blogging... I'm such a tird! But I love you and hope things get better with your Daddy! He seems like a real dream. But I got the real thing...Twayne. Did your Dad plan a Prom for Mom's? ;) Take care of him! Love you!
LOVE LOVE LOVE your Daddy and he is for sure in our family prayers.
Oh Leigh I am so sorry! Sounds like your dad is a great guy. It is crazy all the stuff that is going on around us lately. We will keep you in our prayers.
I love your Dad and Mom! The last 3 years would have been boring without them.
Sweet post- Your Dad is a tough man- if anyone can pull through this he can.
Hugs.
Wow Leigh! That is very sad news. I truly hope for the best for you and your family. Your Dad sounds like an amazing man. And you sound like a mean sister ;) Just kidding!
Very impressed of your blog..... Love your sweet words. Love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We'll pray for you all, Leigh. What a wonderful post. We miss you!
The combination of the cute title and Dad's picture almost make me cry. It was so nice being there together with you...not that it was one of our happier visits, but it was just nice to be there together as a family. Even though you're a stinker for that prank, it totally lightened things up. We can always count on you for some comedic relief. Love you!!!!
Loves. Lots and lots of them.
We will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers and thoughts. You guys have sure had some tough times lately. Hang in there girlie!
Post a Comment