I read a post on this gal's blog last week about the faux pas of blogging about blogging. Apparently one of her readers posted a nasty comment about her. I think we've all had this happen at some point or another. At least I have, anyway. So I decided I would write down a few reasons why I blog.
I've never been good at journaling. We recently moved and I came upon an old journal of mine. It had a whopping 6 entries. SIX. I'm talking, "Today was good. Went to the Stake dance. Brandon Bowers asked me to dance. I was so nervous. He's so hot!" Lame 15 year-old entries.
I was talking with a friend once who said she started a blog because, years from now, she wants people to know who she was. What kind of person she was. Not just another name on the Family Tree, you know?
I hesitated about starting a blog. I didn't know if I would have anything to blog about. I'm pretty boring. That's when Tommy told me I should just start one and make it funny. I can do funny.
We all have our reasons for blogging. Accomplishments, failures, loss of loved ones, finding great recipes, photography, learning new ideas and the list goes on and on. Everyone has their own style of blogging. I enjoy reading the ins and outs of everyone's daily lives (sounds a little creepy). Mine just happens to be a little sarcastic. I don't do sappy, I'm not crafty. I suck at taking pictures. But I love being reconnected with old friends and making new ones through the wonderful world of bloggerdom.
So why am I writing all of this? An old family friend of mine (I'll call her T.A.), someone who I've known, loved and respected for 26 years, seems to be saying not-so-kind things about my blog. Over and over. If I could furrow my brow right now, trust me, I would. But my forehead is stiff for the next 5 months. I'm sorry that you don't seem to like my blogging style, (I didn't realize their was a blogging handbook) but I make no apologies for it. I happen to find yours quite boring, but I've kept that to myself. I wish you would do the same (apparently not much has changed since the days of ratting me out for sneaking boys over to my house and changing into my Daisy Dukes at school). If I choose to post about my 11 year old catching Tommy and I doing the deed, I will. If I want to post a video of Tommy bottomless barefoot skiing at the lake, I will. There are only 2 people I care about offending when I post. My dad and Tommy. Well, maybe not always Tommy (wink). Just keepin' it real folks.
Stepping off my soap box now.

20 comments:
leigh, I absolutly love your blog! It is entertaining and always makes me smile! Your have a great sense of humor and love the sarcasim! Blogs are wonderful for journaling and keeping up on family, thats why I do mine for the same reason. Love it! Julie
yep. nothing but love for your blogging style. makes me giggle.
Yup! Since I don't live near you I quite enjoy my daily dose of your Leigh via the internet. I'm sorry about your not-so-nice friend. Who needs her.
dude my initials are not T.A., are they?! wink, wink!
Amen...I love reading your blog, especially when I need a good laugh!! There's always someone out there being negative, huh?
idk...I kinda like you in your soap box!!! ;)
People are so rude! Keep blogging, we all love your blog!
You rock and I love your bloggity blog. I think the first post I ever saw on your blog was the Powell one :) you rock.
wtf?!?!?! No one better mess with my BFF!!!!!!!
Leigh, have to say, quite surprised that you would stoop to calling me out like that on your blog. I know it's boring but I have no life! By the way, my initials are RR! Hahahahahaha For reals, I love your blog & that "uncensored/sarcastic/REAL-ness" that it has. Personally, I never understand the people who leave rude comments or unsolicited advice. My feeling is, if you don't like it.... DON'T READ IT!
Love ya!
Amen sista! Now that your private, you can decided who hears about all your crap! Hopefully "she" read that post. Let me know haha
Your blog is the only one that makes me laugh...I love it!
keep it up and ignore the 'one'. Life is too short not to enjoy! I love you and your blog!
Ditto to everything mentioned above. You do keep it real and that's what keeps me coming back for more. Your blog makes a lot of people happy. Plus I agree with you, blogging is a journal for you! Who cares what other people think. ;)
LOVE this post! I love your blog you keep me laughing. I feel like I can hear you telling your stories the way you blog.
Is it bad I really want to know who that chick is, should we mess her up real good? I do have a cheer outfit, but that doesn't mean I don't pack a mean punch!! hahaha
My blog is for sure boring...just my day to day. It is my journal...the first journal I have ever kept up with.
I think that she just can't stand that fact that you are funny and beautiful and she just wants to be like you.
There, did that make you feel better?
Leigh,
Your blog is by far our favorite. I love being a part of the stapley updates. there is always something fun or funny going on. you are by far the best blogger I know. we sure do miss you!
Carolyn
Leigh, you don't even know me, but I think your wonderful, and so true, and there's nothing better than keeping it real. I have such a hard time with negative, unhappy people.
You are hilarious and one of the reasons we are moving to AZ (I said one of, not THE reason). HeeHee. I can't wait to actually make it into one of your blogging stories. You've inspired me to start blogging again and to be as sarcastic and forward as I am in "real life". I might start blogging about what a-holes 7th graders are (did I say that outloud?). And I know this because I spend all day, everyday with them. Love you!
Leigh I think you are hilarious, I don't get to read your blog often enough! I wasn't aware of any "blogging rules", so I'm sure I'm breaking more than a few;) Ha Ha! I think I know who T.A. is and I can't picture her saying anything rude like that. I'm sorry there's hard feelings now:( Keep blogging, you're great!
Leigh-I grew up with Tommy. He was sort of my older brother's worst nightmare of a mentor. Just kidding. You guys really do feel like family. And I know that I'm not the only one who is saying this, but you're bog is REALLY my favorite. Sure I like reading Nie Nie and getting inspired, but my most refreshing read is your wit and honesty. Don't stop! And you're right: everyone blogs for their own reasons. Thanks for keeping us laughing! P.S. I really was kidding. Tommy's never hurt my feelings, but I can't say the same for Josh. Don't you love families. :-)
Post a Comment